Skip to product information
1 of 2

Multiflower Knotweed Tuber

Multiflower Knotweed Tuber

Mr. He's Black Hair - A Potent Traditional Chinese Remedy

Tuber of multiflower knotweed, also known as Heshouwu or He's black hair, is a traditional Chinese herb known for its numerous health benefits. Belonging to the Polygonaceae family, this plant, scientifically named Polygonum multiflorum Thumb, has been utilized for centuries in Chinese medicine. The pharmaceutical name of the herb is Radix, and the part used for medicinal purposes is the tuberous root. In this article, we will explore the lore, properties, and potential benefits of this remarkable plant.


The legend of Heshouwu dates back to 812, when a man named He stumbled upon two plants with intertwined vines, resembling a loving embrace. Intrigued by this peculiar sight, He dug up the roots and consumed them. Despite being weak and unmarried, He experienced a remarkable transformation, regaining his strength, youthfulness, and even reversing his gray hair. He eventually fathered a child and lived a long life, with both father and son reaching over 130 years of age. This story inspired the Chinese to name the tuber of multiflower knotweed "He's black hair."

Pharmacological Properties

Tuber of multiflower knotweed possesses a bitter and sweet flavor, with slightly warm energy. It falls under the category of herbs to correct deficiencies and is believed to impact the liver and kidney meridians.

Dosage and Actions

The recommended dosage for Heshouwu ranges from 10 to 25 grams. Its primary actions are toning the liver and kidneys, benefiting semen and blood, and treating various health conditions, including seminal emission, vaginal discharge, lumbago, and premature gray hair.

Health Benefits

Modern scientific research has begun to validate the traditional claims of Heshouwu's health benefits. Experiments have shown that the herb can treat fatty liver, increase red blood cells, and reduce blood fat levels. Its effects are thought to be similar to those of adrenocortical hormones.

In one study, two groups of animals were exposed to -5°C temperatures for 17.5 hours. One group had been fed Heshouwu for two weeks prior, and the results showed a significantly lower death rate (32.3%) compared to the other group (67.7%).

Another experiment involved the treatment of chronic tracheitis. Patients were divided into two groups, with one group receiving a standard herbal formula and the other receiving the same formula plus Heshouwu. The second group demonstrated significantly better results, showing improvement in local symptoms, fear of wind and cold, cold sensations in the back, and shortness of breath.


Tuber of multiflower knotweed, or Heshouwu, is a potent traditional Chinese remedy with a rich history and promising health benefits. Its potential to improve liver function, increase red blood cell production, and reduce blood fat levels make it a valuable addition to herbal medicine. Further research is needed to fully understand and unlock its potential, but its traditional use and recent scientific findings suggest that Heshouwu is indeed a valuable herb.

View full details